Withings Activité range had a wonderful start with models like Activité, Activité Steel, and the Activité Pop. This time, Withings returns with the same classy design, but more interesting features. This Nokia acquired company is back with a combination of a fitness tracker and smartwatch called the Steel HR. This smart analogue watch was announced by Withings at the IFA 2016.
What is Withings Steel HR?
Withing’s latest watch is an analog activity-tracking device that gives you everything you expect from a fitness band. The circular digital screen at the top which shows the health data and smartphone messages is something that sets it apart from other watches. The Withings Steel HR is simply a watch that also gives you the benefit of a typical fitness tracker. The watch has a heart rate monitor and the information from the monitor is then processed and sent to the companion mobile application via Bluetooth.
Withings Steel HR has a very elegant looking design which tracks your movement, analyses your sleep patterns and can automatically adjust the time in different time zones. Just like any Activité watch, it has the stainless steel casing, chrome hands, and a silicon strap. Also, it is water resistant for a dip in water up to 50 meters deep. Withings Steel HR comes in two sizes: 36mm and 40mm.
6 Important Features
- Digital Display: The digital display at the top of the watch shows the number of steps a user has taken, their heart rate, the distance they traveled, and a number of calories they burned. It also has the ability to deliver simple smartphone notifications.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: The heart rate monitor of Steel HR takes continuous and resting heart rate readings. It starts a continuous reading once you start an activity like running, which it automatically detects. It helps you get a comprehensive view of your heart-rate evolution during the day and night.
- Activity Tracking: The display shows the number of steps you have taken, distance traveled, and calories burnt and automatically recognizes activities like running, sleeping, and walking.
- Alerts: The display on Steel HR also shows smartphone notifications for calls, emails, texts, and events.
- Battery Life: Withings Steel HR has a rechargeable battery, while the older Activité models used standard watch batteries as a source of power. Withings has promised that the battery will last for 25 days on a single charge and can also stretch the power over an additional 20 days if required. But for that, you will have to opt for the low-power mode, which will disable the heart rate sensor.
- Water Resistant: The watch has been rated 5 ATM for water resistance. It can survive in water up to 50 meters deep.
All the activity data from your watch is then stored in the Withings Health Mate app, which is available for both iOS and Android. After completing an activity, you can view your stats in the app, which includes maximum heart rate and how much time was spent in each time zone.
Price & Availability
Withing Steel HR’s 36mm model is priced at $179.95, while the 40mm model will be available at $199.95. The 36mm model has options for a black or white strap, but in the 40mm model only comes with a black strap. Both the models of the Withings Steel HR will be available by the end of October.
Withings Steel HR is definitely a chic wearable. Along with looking stylish and classy, it has very useful features like the heart rate monitor, the digital display, with an amazing battery life and water resistance. Withings Steel HR combines style with fitness.
Rajiv is one of the founders of Nimblechapps, a web and android game development company based out of India. At Nimblechapps he overlooks delivery, product development and often lends a hand to the in house development team. His personal interest include Travel, Food and Motorcycling.