The Pebble Core is a wearable designed especially for runners and is a non-smartwatch for the fitness freaks. It is enabled with a mega-long battery life and is compatible with both iOS and Android. But it’s also so much more, especially now that it’s compatible with Amazon’s excellent voice-enabled assistant Alexa, that powers the Amazon Echo.
The most obvious thing one will notice is the fact it doesn’t have a screen. It will let you see all the running data like pace, distance, speed, giving accurate location and access to millions of tracks from your wrist. It is designed as a standalone device; with which you can leave your smartphone behind. You just have to run with a small wearable clipped and it is available for a pretty cheap price too.
Pebble Core is made out of polycarbonate and rubber to give it a durable, robust body able to withstand pressure. It weighs just 50g and should easily slip onto your waistband, sleeve or hide in a pocket. As part of its accessories, there’s a 3.5mm headphone jack for wired sports earphones which connects to your phone via Bluetooth 4.1.
Unbeaten Features of Pebble Core
- There’s also Wi-Fi support as well to make it easier to sync data and stream music with ease.
- The most notable features for runners is alongside an accelerometer motion sensor, that can track runs accurately.
- The Core also has GPS built in so that you can be location-aware any time.
- The device also supports Moov-style audio cues from your running and fitness apps.
- You will be able to pair with one of Pebble’s new watches that do pack optical heart rate sensors, to add real-time HR readings to your workout sessions.
- It also supports Spotify that streams over 3G thanks to the Micro SIM card slot that’s built into the device.
- The Core can muster up 20 hours of battery life while in GPS mode, 9 hours with GPS and listen back to stored music, or 4 hours when the GPS is in use.
- It offers optional wireless QI charging support, letting you drop it onto third party wireless charging pads and mats to power it up.
- Pebble Health syncs with Apple HealthKit and Google Fit, with makers planning to add more integrations over the next year.
- The other features are that the wearable can send an SOS alert with your location in emergencies, it can capture voice notes and activate Pebble apps like Uber with just a single tap.
The makers of Pebble Core have been widely acclaimed by the press and the users for their epic battery life and thoughtful design. They also mentioned that the Core is the “first fully-mobile wearable” to officially get Amazon voice functionality. With Amazon Alexa, Pebble Core can play songs, artists, and playlists from Amazon Prime Music instantly, get weather and traffic updates, avail the day’s news read out to you, control smart home devices and even shop for gifts through the Amazon marketplace. You can also record voice notes too when striking mid-run, or if you’re trapped somewhere and need to record some last words.
Price and Availability
If you’re looking to get your hands on the new Pebble Core, you can pre-order from Kickstarter right now. The Pebble Core will cost $99 when it goes on full-retail sale in early 2017. It is available in black and white colors.
Pebble Core is expected to be game-changing for wearable technology as it will only get smarter and more useful over time. It has the necessary elements to be a successful running device. So the Pebble Core now offers more bang for the same buck.
Rajiv is one of the founders of Nimblechapps, a web and android game development company based out of India. At Nimblechapps he overlooks delivery, product development and often lends a hand to the in house development team. His personal interest include Travel, Food and Motorcycling.