Back in July, we had mentioned about the top five action cameras of 2015 in which Polaroid Cube was a top choice for us. Being an incredible wide angle lens camera offering a 124-degree coverage, it certainly won numero uno honours in our list.
Come December, and we have another winner from Polaroid that expands on the original’s capabilities – Polaroid Cube+
What’s in Store with Polaroid Cube+?
Cube+ is of the same size as the original but now you can operate the action camera wirelessly with your smartphone. Your own iOS or Android device can function as a viewfinder to control the Polaroid Cube+. The mobile app for both platforms helps users to transfer videos and photos seamlessly so that one can edit them at will.
The action camera’s features are nearly the same compared to the original, although Cube+ boasts of a powerful 8-megapixel camera resolution delivering better photo and video quality overall. Now that can get action enthusiasts to vouch for the new device.
Salient Features of the Cube+ Design
- Polaroid’s water-resistant Cube action camera has just got better! With the Cube+, it gets the much-needed wireless upgrade.
- Having been announced recently at CE Week in New York City, Polaroid Cube+ offers Wi-Fi support for quick transfer of photos and videos, and also for wireless control.
- Its cube-shaped design is beautiful and handy
- Cube+ can connect with smartphones and tablets with the Cube+ app for iOS and Android mobile platforms.
- One can control the action camera remotely, and even upload the same on social media sites to share footage with friends too.
- It boasts of a 124-degree wide-angle lens like the original which can record more than 1.5 hours of continuous video in 1080p full HD
- It can click 6-megapixel still photos with utmost clarity and precision owing to its strong focal capabilities.
- The Cube+ is splash-resistant and can withstand water up to 6.5 feet
- It features an inbuilt microSD card slot which helps in expanding memory up to 32GB of photos and videos.
- Cube+ includes image stabilisation feature that lets you capture the action without blurred images and shaky footage
- Hot pink and glow-in-the-dark green are two new colours for the camera’s exterior. The green colour glows in the dark and hence expected to be handy especially while shooting action at night.
- A variety of mounts are available in addition to the camera for better shooting support.
Miscellaneous scenarios for use
Polaroid Cube+ is a great action camera for enthusiasts who are keen to get their action recorded now and then. With Wi-Fi on the fly, one can get the right frames necessary with the help of your own smartphone which will work as a viewfinder once connected to the device. One can even select the video resolution at 1440p at 30 frames per second for getting videos in full HD. Its size of 35mm X 35mm X 35mm is tiny enough for wildlife capture and you would not have to stress on additional baggage, carrying the same.
The rubberised frame around Cube+ makes it splash proof and weather proof too. One can opt for an additional waterproof case to get the action camera to withstand water up to 10 metres! A built-in mic is also present to get the video to relate to the surroundings and capture them better.
Pricing and Colour Options for the Cube+
The Polaroid Cube+ is expected to be launched in August in different colours – red, blue and black. It is priced at $150 ($149.99). The hot pink and green coloured Cube+ cameras will be available for $100 ($99.99).
Rajiv is one of the founders of Nimblechapps, a web and android game development company based out of India. At Nimblechapps he overlooks delivery, product development and often lends a hand to the in house development team. His personal interest include Travel, Food and Motorcycling.