At CES 2017, held in Las Vegas, Flir announced not just one but five new thermal cameras. This collection of products includes two third-generation Flir One cameras for both iOS and Android devices, the brand-new Duo and Duo R cameras for drones, and the rugged C3 designed for home and building inspections. All these five products are built around Flir’s Lepton thermal micro camera and it’s patented MSX technology that adds visible-light details into thermal images.
A Compact, Thermal Camera
The Flir Duo is a compact, lightweight, dual-sensor thermal and visible light images designed for drones. It is the same size and shape as any other popular action camera. Duo has features like onboard recording and real-time remote control of camera functions. It also offers MSX multi-spectral imaging enhancement. Duo has a fully radiometric variant called Duo R that delivers accurate, calibrated temperature measurements in every pixel.
Duo includes thermal imaging with 1080p color video in the approved action camera size and shape. Its analog and digital HDMI live video outputs let you view thermal or visible imagery either alone, or combined in Picture-in-Picture or MSX format. Duo R adds calibrated radiometric temperature measurements on top of all this.
Duo not only captures digital video files, but it can also capture still images for later analysis in the free FLIR Tools software package. In FLIR Tools you can combine the two images together with the MSX Blending feature for even more image detail.
Easy & Powerful Camera Control
You can remotely control up to two camera functions with PWM inputs and configure your camera’s recording and control settings over Bluetooth with the intuitive FLIR app for easy setup in any application.
Features of Flir Duo
- Drone Thermal Imaging: Dua offers dual-sensor thermal and visible light color imaging in a compact action camera form factor.
- Radiometric Duo R: Duo R delivers accurate, calibrated non-contact temperature measurements in every pixel.
- Easy to Install: Duo R accepts a 5-24VDC input power and outputs both analog and HDMI digital video.
- Easy Configuration: Duo R has a mobile app that is compatible with both iOS and Android devices and built-in Bluetooth makes your camera set-up a snap.
- Onboard Recording: Duo R records digital thermal and 1080p color video and stills to an onboard microSD card.
- PMW Controls: You can configure and control the camera in the air with up to two PWM inputs.
The Flir One comes with a new image processor and higher resolution visual camera and is available for just $199. It also has a height-adjustable dongle because of which you will be able to use it with phone cases, something that previously required flimsy adapters. The Flir Pro is a more ruggedized version of the Flir One that comes with a higher resolution thermal sensor and will be available for $399.
A Bit Pricey
The basic difference between the Duo and Duo R is that the Duo R is also capable of making lab-calibrated thermal measurements. These cameras can fit into tight spots or even be attached to a drone for spotting trouble with or measuring the temperature of things. The Duo will be available for $999, while the Duo R costs $1,299.
Both Flir Duo and Duo-R available for purchase. The Flir One and Flir One Pro will go on sale this summer.