Acer has launched a 2 in one device that can either be used as a tablet or as a laptop. With its latest convertible, the Switch Alpha 12, Acer is taking the technology to another level, creating a slim and silent notebook which runs on Windows 10.
The device can run at a 2160 X 1440 resolution, which is almost as sharp as Apple’s MacBook Retina Display. The Taiwan company has made the first hybrid laptop that runs on Intel’s sixth generation Core processor without a fan, a notable feather that is part of its kitty.
With a kickstand and a detachable keyboard, both of which gives the device a smart but different profile, Switch Alpha 12 delivers superb performance. There are so many Windows-powered tablets that connect to slim keyboard covers with competing options that cost less than the current Switch Alpha 12 but since most of them cut corners by using low-power processors in the form of Atom and Core M lines, this device is actually different.
With its innovative features, Acer Switch Alpha 12 is a versatile, powerful, no-nonsense machine that is affordable and efficient. The company hopes that its premium laptop will be just as compelling for customers with more expensive tastes.
Latest features of Acer Switch Alpha 12
In Acer Switch Alpha 12 the liquid cooling feature is worth mentioning. Nowadays fans are touted to disappear from tablets and hybrids. Acer has now revealed its first fan-less tablet with a Sky Lake Core I processor. It’s not as robust as the massive liquid cooling systems in some gaming PCs, but it’s an interesting way to keep a slim tablet cool without fans.
The device is also installed with a “closed-loop liquid system,” which dissipates the heat as liquid floats through the system. So one gets a powerful computing juggernaut without ever hearing the sound of a fan.
The full-sized keyboard also features deep key traveling depth (1.4mm) for comfortable and accurate typing process. One can adjust the kickstand to tilt the screen for getting the right angle. Additionally, there is also an Active Pen stylus with 256 levels of pressure supported for better impressions on the screen.
The kickstand is built into the tablet’s back which is made from the same anodized aluminum as the chassis, but with a rubberized grip. The stand looks sturdy and gives the user a full range of viewing angles.
Technical specifications of Acer Switch Alpha 12
- The Switch Alpha 12 comes with up to 8GB of RAM, up to 512GB SSDs storage, and integrated with a powerful Intel 520 graphics card. One can configure the Switch Alpha 12 with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. The hybrid also sports Intel’s RealSense 3D camera.
- The 3.1 Type-C port transfers data super-fast and streams high-resolution video without a hitch.
- Thanks to a 12″ touchscreen with 2160×1440 resolution and two front-facing speakers, the videos are of great quality while the immersive sound is impressive too. It has a full HD screen, that offers up to 13 hours of battery life as they run on power-efficient Sky Lake Core chips.
- Visually, the screen is sharp, colors look bright and contrast seems solid. Touch response feels extremely accurate when performing gestures and drags across the screen.
- All models can connect to an optional WiGig dock that can transform the Switch Alpha 12 into a PC with optional external USB Type-C dock.
Sporting some very powerful features, the Acer Switch Alpha 12 is the perfect blend of productivity, portability and flexibility. The company clearly hopes that the value of the device will bring a whole new market of users who simply can’t afford the current, high-end models.
One can get your hands on the cool, quiet yet powerful Switch Alpha 12 in June this year with prices starting at $599.
Rajiv is one of the founders of Nimblechapps, a web and android game development company based out of India. At Nimblechapps he overlooks delivery, product development and often lends a hand to the in house development team. His personal interest include Travel, Food and Motorcycling.