How Artificial Intelligence has Helped Healthcare Industry to Fight Covid?
The world is battling COVID-19 pandemic in the second year and healthcare systems around the world remain under enormous strain. The road to recovery for hospitals, healthcare systems and staff is going to be a long game, making it immensely critical to find alternatives to ease their pressure going forward.
Artificial intelligence technology including Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing are great assets for the future of healthcare. There is a resilience to allow smooth collaboration and experiences for the healthcare system and their patients. And with more portable health information, we can discover great outcomes and litigate enhancements for healthcare providers and patients. In this article, we will discuss the best ways AI-enabled tech will push healthcare forward after the pandemic ends.
What does AI mean as per the changing industrial pattern?
The introduction of artificial intelligence and its recent development has garnered hype of discussion in the last few years due the ever changing contributions under multiple domains. In today’s world, the involvement and effectiveness of AI has gone through an impressive resurgence due to the exhaustive contribution of research and development in AI programs. Countries like China have increased emphasis on the use of AI technology through investments in the AI industry. In the same way, most global companies have made huge investments in AI programming and the creation of innovative AI applications.
Various tools have been deployed by AI to automate the problem-based tasks. Such tools are being developed through the AI principles and are used to develop multiple AI based applications that are crucial in addressing problems across multiple industries and disciplines. It is critical to determine the efficiency of the search process which makes it new and quite distinct from other existing technologies in similar fields. The traditional approach taken by AI includes past search results, which AI understands and uses to enhance its search process in comparison to the prior searches and hence plans future processes just like humans do.
How AI can help the healthcare industry to fight global covid pandemic?
Here are some of the best ways AI powered tech will push the healthcare industry forward to fight the COVID-19 global pandemic.
1. Automate Processes & Enhance Efficiency
One of the most interesting areas powered by AI is remote patient monitoring (RPM) which is definitely leading to improved efficiencies and reduced costs for healthcare providers and is indicated to enhance healthcare results for patients. According to a research, RPM enables you to:
- Bring down patient readmissions by more than 35% and emergency room visits by 25 percent.
- Enhance patient satisfaction significantly.
- Reduce cost of care by 25 percent.
Artificial Intelligence enabled RPM enables healthcare professionals to keep their patients healthy automatically. Healthcare workers can monitor their patients virtually without the need of in-person appointments. The collected data provides critical insights in real-time, relevant alerts and notifications are automatically triggered and systematic contact is maintained between healthcare providers and their patients.
This technology was more than useful during the global pandemic when in-person appointments were limited but people still required support from their healthcare providers. Some of the early adopters of this technology to offer healthcare at home were virtually handling more than 30,000 COVID-19 patients with mild symptoms and offering a safe and efficient method to care for COVID-19 patients at home. This allowed the hospitals to free up space for critical patients requiring emergency room treatment.
RPM is definitely useful to patients who reside in remote locations or have no access to easy transportation, offering them access to care that they might otherwise miss. To fully determine the advantages, patients must have a dependable rural or remote internet connection. By offering healthcare services beyond the doctor’s clinic, RPM simply brings care straight to their patients, irrespective of their location. This will enable the doctors to provide quick and cost-effective care and help with disease management and prevention.
2. Risk Prediction and Assistance
Another future tech worth keeping an eye on is data and Machine Learning backed monitoring. Machine learning utilised algorithms to partition data, learn from it and then propose a predictive model. Syndromic surveillance backed by ML is used to treat a number of healthcare industry issues offering precise predictions of disease outbreak. When it is combined with the health system’s electronic health record, syndromic surveillance technology can scan the EHR for critical symptoms like COVID-19 or various other infectious diseases. After that, the collected data is used to determine which patients may or may not have the disease and which patients amongst that list would require hospitalization.
The data automation abilities and real time insights included in the syndromic surveillance offer the intel necessary to figure out disease progression and anticipate disease risk to patients before it occurs, track symptoms and better manage public health by determining hospital utilization, geographic surges and need for additional resources. Essentially, we predict that AI will inform providers of risks associated with social determinants of health and provide coordination of care with community based organizations to reduce social gaps.
3. Recognizing Patterns and Determining Diagnosis
A kind of AI that is aimed to revolutionize the healthcare industry in NLP technology. NLP allows computers to understand, interpret and manipulate human language. When used efficiently in healthcare, NLP algorithms can look up around eighty percent of important EHR content that is not structured along with doctor’s notes, lab reports and other important documents.
NLP can precisely read and interpret a large amount of data in quick time, organize the collected data and provide information to doctors to help diagnose and treat tricky conditions and properly understand treatment procedures in record time which leads to instant therapy and enhanced patient results.
This technology is also beneficial in the life sciences area where it streamlines the data extraction process linked to scientific studies and clinical trials. This is particularly important when researchers look for patients for studies in complex areas like oncology which may require comprehensive phenotypic data. Though, it can be found easily in unstructured narrative data with the help of NLP.
4. Enabling Patients to Manage Their Health
The plethora of wearable healthcare technology has allowed people to take control and ownership of their personal health. Gadgets like smartwatches and fitness trackers gather real-time personal health data like blood pressure, blood glucose and ECG keeping people aware about their data points that matter the most to them.
Artificial Intelligence can migrate this personal health data into clinically useful information allowing patients to be more engaged with and proactive about their health conditions. The data can then be sent back to a hospital through a monitoring hub assisting healthcare providers recognize the daily habits and offer medical records, family history, DNA tests etc.
What are some of the AI powered solutions in the healthcare industry?
Now, let us check out some of the AI backed solutions in the healthcare industry.
- Enable/ Automated Diagnostics and Prescription - Chatbots can assist patients to self diagnose or help doctors in patient diagnosis.
- Pregnancy Management - Track the vitals of mother and baby’s foetus to reduce mother’s worries and provide early diagnosis.
- Prescription Auditing - AI audit systems can assist in reducing prescription errors.
- Personalised medication - It helps doctors diagnose and find the most suitable treatment plans with reduced cost and effective care.
- Patient Data Analysis - Analyse patient data to find insights and suggest care options. AI enables healthcare facilities to analyse important data and generate deeper insights into patient health. It offers an opportunity to cut down cost of care, use resources sparingly and efficiently manage health.
- Surgical Robots - Robot-enabled surgeries include AI and collaborative tools. These robots are equipped with tools that enable swift, repetitive movements as they can work without breaks. AI can determine patterns within surgical procedures to enhance best practices and to improve a robot’s accuracy and precision.
- Early Detection - AI helps to analyse chronic ailments using lab data and various medical data to provide early detection of diseases.
- Medical Imaging - Enhanced medical imaging to analyse and transform images and model possible situations.
- Medicine Discovery - Find new drugs based on prior data and medical intelligence.
- Healthcare Management & Branding- Develop a marketing strategy for the brand depending on market perception and target audience.
- Customer Service Chatbots - Customer service chatbots enable people to ask questions pertaining to bill payment, appointments or medication.
- Fraud Detection - People can make false claims and AI powered tools can assist hospital managers to determine fraudsters.
Artificial Intelligence has immense potential to enhance healthcare delivery and its full perspectives can be determined and allowed access to data that until now has been maintained in information databases. With proper safety measures for privacy and consent, we recommend that AI will bring new age healthcare where data is used to enhance efficiency, quality and patient/customer responsiveness as well as fostering clinical enhancements. If you are looking for assistance related to your healthcare application, you can contact Nimblechapps, an innovative Artificial Intelligence Development Company today for a free consultation.