Android 11 App Migration: Android to Android App Migration Guide
Android 11 launched last year and was released to most Android smartphones by the end of the year. Interestingly, it was one of the most awaited Android updates with enhancements like improved 5G Support, Native Screen Recorder, Notifications Priority Conversations, Notification Chat Bubble and various other privacy improvements like Package Visibility and Scoped Storage.
Most new applications are set to work well on Android 11 but for some who have still not undertaken the change, it is the best time now and this article will help you. In this post, we will cover application migration, application migration strategy and an in-depth guide to migrate apps to Android 11 along with APIs and features. So, let’s begin our journey to Android 11 migration.
What is Application Migration?
Application migration is the process of transferring the preexisting application from one environment to another. A computing environment can be a mix of multiple things like laptop, data center, server, cloud, scanners and printers etc.
In theory, application migration sounds much simpler and faster than the actual physical transfer of objects but in reality, it is a complex process. For Dedicated Mobile App Developers, it is important to have a strategic vision, action plan, project thinking and accurate testing for a seamless migration process.
What is Application Migration Strategy?
To deploy application migration seamlessly, you must think about several things in advance. Your starting environment and target environment are distinct, especially when we talk about safety and compliance requirements. If you overlook these issues from the beginning then there will be extra issues and additional expenses due to those issues.
When you try to shift from an old composition to a new one, you may need to adjust the old composition to the new rules. A solid application migration strategy has two parts:
- Adjusting the specifics and technological requirements of each app to the latest system.
- Administrating the concerns of the latest computing system along with security, compliance issues and budget restrictions.
Step-by-Step Guide to Migrate App from Android to Android
Now, let us get into an in-depth understanding of Android application migration.
Application Migration Plan
The ideal way to begin application migration is to plan it like a new project. In that case, you will set measurable goals including schedule planning and budget expectations. Try not to overlook the importance of dedicated planning and attention to detail. From the beginning, determine the age of your application. It will be more expensive to migrate older applications due to the use of older technologies and increased timeline. Apart from that, the application age will also impact the legacy application migration.
What are the basic types of Application Migrations?
Based on the type of computing environments, application migration can be categorised into 4 types:
- Between 2 cloud environments
- Between 2 data centers
- A public cloud to private cloud
- Data center to cloud
The application migration to cloud needs a special mention. Though there are multiple subcategories in this type, it is easy to remember the strategies that begin with R.
- Rehosting - This type is appropriate for a large legacy shift. In that case, you can do the exact same migration swiftly and save some time to optimize any architectural upgrades. The process occurs between an on-premises server and a cloud-based machine.
- Refactoring - If you think about refactoring, an application will definitely need more prevalent changes. It can be like re-coding most parts or can be as simple as minor system updates. For instance, you can redevelop the monolithic application into a set of multiple microservers. This information is later used to adapt the application to the cloud native environment.
- Replatforming - Essentially, this kind of cloud computing equates to a minor change in the non-essential applications. Reorganization is necessary when rehosting is less and the refactoring is the primary goal. However, the changes to the application code need expertise in how your app works and how it can be optimized for the cloud.
- Rebuild - When the actual application migration process is too overwhelming, the application needs a primary decomposition. Due to that, retire can increase the application’s value by removing the duplicate features and developing a new offering of the Saas platform. When that happens, the developers should replan the application’s key process like the workflow, integration and primary components.
- Retain - This step is similar to redecorating a physical space. Some offerings are not due to the applications migration and you can keep them as it is. At a particular point in the future, you can take them to a new computing environment. Basically, it is not a migration application but a demo of its successful strategy and planning. With an integrated approach, you will definitely witness that not everything available is necessary in the new system.
- Repurchasing - Here, you may request a third party to shift your environment to a SaaS platform. Due to this reason, your development team will not have to worry about infrastructure maintenance issues. This third party app should have the functions and abilities for your application but with important compliance to cloud requirements.
Application Migration Testing
- The catalogue of network specifications, including connections and dependencies between multiple applications.
- A count of the application performance and the demand it meets.
- The presentation of all the problems that need to be solved during the migration process.
The ideal preparation is to prepare a backup of the file you are about to transfer in layman terms. To make sure that you can use this Masterfile in the future, make the folder paths, document titles and usernames similar.
Another complex preparation for data migration comes with application performance monitoring. So, it is best to configure the required analytical tools to track and make sure your project is successful. When migrating data to the cloud environment, we advise paying attention to application migration services like Google Cloud, Salesforce, Amazon Web and Microsoft Azure.
By selecting any of the above, you can integrate the application performance monitoring with proper control on system resources. One more vital aspect of preparation is to make way for compliance monitoring and validation. It means obtaining extra control on data migration for the businesses catering to strict and regulated industries. These compliance regulations can be strict and unpredictable in nature so this stage is to ensure whether the applications are ready for the changes and challenges that come with the computing environment.
On the other hand, you may face some compliance challenges like:
- GDPR (European General Data Protection Regulation) - It is displayed when the visitors need to mention the details of their EU citizenship.
- PCI DDS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) - It is displayed when a user tries to enter their credit card information.
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act) - It is displayed when patients need to mention their critical health information.
At this point, your work is to reconfigure your application in the latest version of the computing system. It is similar to unpacking your bag after a vacation. You can easily determine the relevant files and rediscover paths and connection strings to facilitate your new environment’s applications.
Automation is Important
Regular optimization of automation migration is an ideal practice. Here, you will look to limit disruption, save time and bolster your migration efficiency. More often than not, you can find space for automation to be quite repetitive. Search all possible opportunities from previous experience to enhance your output in the coming steps.
Prepare a Test Plan
Preparing a testing plan is essential for application migration. For an efficient test, you can take help of your local environment and modify the host files on your system before coming up with the change at the destination end. Your capability to have a fresh set of eyes is crucial here. It is better to view your application as a user or administrator to get ideal test practice.
We hope that the above guide will help you to manage android 11 app migration efficiently. If you require an in depth application migration, we advise hiring a professional Android App Development Company with experience and expertise in performing these tasks effectively. So, if you need any help or are struggling with Android app migration then you can contact us or let us know in the comments below.
Top-5 Best Mobile Application Development Platform in 2022
It is not an exaggeration to say that Android is the most popular mobile OS with 85% market share and north of 5 million apps in the Google...
What are Android Emulators and How to Setup an Android Emulator?
There are a variety of reasons why you would want to run an Android emulator on your PC. Mobile app developers always look to test their app...